INTRODUCTION TO AI POWERED DIGITAL DANCE CREATION
September 16 & 17
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM ET
585 Dundas Street E – Unit 130
$125 workshop fee
Dance Arts Institute is thrilled to announce the commencement of our 2023-2024 Research Residencies series, and we are delighted to introduce Sarah Hin Ching U as our first Artist Researcher.
Sarah Hin Ching U is interested in the integration of new media tools in performance making. She is specifically interested in how the glorification of overstimulation and overconsumption can change human bodies and how artificial intelligence (AI) creative tools can inform the choreographic process of creating it.
Drawing directly from past experience in creating digital work, the research residency offers workshop participants a gateway to new media tools that are less commonly seen in a studio-based practice. Sarah examines machine learning strategies and techniques, and will guide and observe how participants collaborate with AI tools in the creative process, exploring new possibilities and interpretations.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
This workshop is designed specifically for dance artists who are interested in learning about new media tools for digital dance creation. Over the course of two days, participants will be introduced to “Runway,” an AI-powered online video editing tool, and have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with green screen and motion tracking.
- Comprehensive step-by-step tutorial on Runway, covering the basics of green screen and motion tracking.
- Strategies to train the software in comprehending and interpreting movement pathways through keyframing.
- Optimization of software response to movement through choreography, videography, and other editing techniques.
- Time allocated for participants to explore the software and foster their creative ideas.
- Sharing of work examples, providing valuable insights and inspiration for your own artistic endeavors.
Sarah Hin Ching U. Photo by Laura Zeke.