Our adult recreational program of contemporary dance classes is designed for individuals who want to experience the joy of movement through contemporary dance. Classes are held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and are suitable for dancers aged 16+, with any level of experience (including complete beginners)
ADULT CONTEMPORARY DANCE (INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED)
with Megan Nadain
Through the lens of Contemporary dance, Megan’s intermediate/advanced class is an invitation to reconnect with ourselves and each other through movement in a stimulating and supportive environment with live music. This class uses technique as a pathway to fluid and powerful physical expression and integrates principals of a variety of contemporary dance practices integrating the use of weight, suspension, breath, energy and musicality. We will explore these concepts in a progressive class structure, beginning on the floor, moving up through standing work which will evolve into more complex, comprehensive phrase work in the centre and traveling throughout the space. While the class is designed to meet you where you are in your current body, some dance experience is suggested.
ADULT CONTEMPORARY DANCE (BEGINNER)
with Katie Adams-Gossage
No matter what your previous movement experience may be, Katie’s beginner class meets you where you are and invites you to work at your individual pace. Warm up, preparatory exercises, and extended dance phrases emphasize ease, coordination, sensation, and fulfillment on the floor, standing, and moving through space. Movement offerings provide a terrain for beginner participants to deepen movement confidence, conceptual understanding and to explore personal freedom in their physical bodies. Discover new possibilities for movement and nurture spirits of autonomy and community in the process.
Do you want to receive news, registration information, and updates about our Adult Recreational dance classes?
ADULT CONTEMPORARY DANCE
Adult Contemporary Dance classes are created as a way to celebrate community, music, exercise, and of course, our love for dance!
Tuesdays 6:30 – 8:00 PM
March 26 – May 7, 2024
Thursdays 6:30 – 8:00 PM
March 28 – May 9, 2024
We look forward to seeing you at Dance Arts Institute!
- Classes are designed for students ages 16 and older.
- All faculty and accompanists are subject to change.
- All dates and times are subject to change.
- All classes are subject to sufficient registration.
- Physical activity carries with it risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken to avoid injuries. Participation in classes offered at Dance Arts is voluntary and each participant knowingly assumes all risks associated with their own participation.
- Dance Arts aims to provide a safe, positive, and welcoming learning environment.
- Dance Arts reserves the right to refuse admittance to any person who jeopardizes our ability to provide such an atmosphere.
- Daily screening is required before coming to the building. Dance Arts maintains a zero-symptom policy and those who do not pass the daily screening will be asked to stay home.
- Class fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Please review Dance Arts Institute’s Health and Safety Protocols prior to registration:
Health & Safety Protocols related to COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses (Updated July 2023)
What should I wear to class?
We recommend close fitting, comfortable clothing for class, such as leotards, tights, unitards, sweat clothes, leggings, or yoga wear.
How big is the class and what is the age range?
The number of people in each class will vary depending on the time of year and number of registrations per term, per course. The maximum class size at any given time is 18.
Classes are open to ages 16 and up. The average age of individuals will vary, depending on those who have registered. At any given time, we have dancers from their twenties and thirties, to fifties and sixties.
Where are you located? Is there parking at Dance Arts?
Dance Arts Institute is located inside of Daniels Spectrum; a community cultural hub in Toronto’s Regent Park neighbourhood located on the east side of downtown Toronto. We are just east of Parliament Street, on 585 Dundas Street East. Public parking is available at Daniels Spectrum (entrance from Sackville Street) and additional street parking is available nearby.
Student Services & Financial Aid Officer